Below is a guide on how to open a bottle of wine. That big day has to be special without you ruining it. This guide seeks to help you to open a bottle of wine without any hassle.
How to Open a Bottle of Wine
- Cut the foil below lower lip.
- Insert the screw in the center of the cork.
- Rotate corkscrew 6 half turns.
- Lever cork out slowly.
- Wipe off any tartrate crystals or sediment with a napkin.
Here it is again in pictures:
- Hold the bottle of wine stationary.
- Cut across the front, back, and top of the foil. Keep your fingers clear of the blade and the foil.
- Set the screw just off center and insert, rotating straight into the cork.
- Continue to screw into the cork until only one curl remains.
- Lever on the first step, then the second, finally easing the cork out with your hand.
The most pragmatic wine opener
A waiter’s Friend
Before you learn how to open a bottle of wine you’ll need one essential tool, a simple waiter’s friend corkscrew. They are widely available at most grocery stores and cost around $8-15. Don’t get fancy. In nearly every case the waiter’s friend corkscrew will outperform other alternatives. Make sure it has a serrated blade, this will make cutting the foil much easier. Ready to start opening that bottle?
Credit: Wine Folly