In “Camp Cocktails,” author and Vikre Distillery co-founder Emily Vikre has created a collection of drinks for mixing while in the great outdoors, without compromising on quality.
When coming up with the recipes for her book, Vikre tells VinePair, “I was really thinking about flavors and creative cocktails that would celebrate the flavors of the woods or that feeling of being at your cabin and getting away.”
Strawberry Fields starts with grilled strawberries, an ingredient Vikre says she absolutely loves. “I think strawberries are a really fun ingredient to incorporate into cocktails because you can get a lovely fruit flavor,” she says. plus, grilling “is just such a big part of being at a cabin, or being at the lake,” she says.
After muddling the roasted strawberries, Vikre shakes tequila, lime juice, and elderflower liqueur to yield this “Margarita riff.” Herbal notes from the tequila complement the concentrated strawberry flavor, while the elderflower liqueur brings a hint of floral sweetness.
- 1 grilled strawberry
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- ¾ ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce St-Germain elderflower liqueur
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- Grill strawberries. (Thread onto a skewer, place over a heated grill, and grill over medium-low heat until the berries are softening and juicy. This will take anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes per side, depending on how low your coals are.) Allow cooling before using it in a cocktail.
- Gently muddle one grilled strawberry in a shaker.
- Add the tequila, lime juice, St-Germain, and simple syrup, fill the shaker two-thirds full with ice, seal, and shake until chilled.
- Double strain into a cocktail glass.
Go give it shot this weekend and let me know what you think???
543 total views, 2 views today