In this post, we’ll be looking at the 5 basic facts about wine. What do you know about your favorite wine??, Not to worry we listed 5 most important facts you should know about your favorite wine bottle.
Wine is made from fermented grapes
These grapes are similar to table grapes but are much smaller and have thicker skins.
Some common examples are Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot & Chardonnay.
The main types of wines are red, white, rosé, sparkling & fortified wines.
- Red wines are made from red grapes
- White wines are made from white grapes
- Rosé wines are pink in color and are usually made from red grapes ( some new world rose wines are made by blending red and white grapes)
- Sparkling wines contain carbon dioxide which makes them bubbly. A glass of sparkling wine can be red, white, or rose
- Fortified wines are fortified with spirits such as Brandy. Examples of fortified wines are Sherry & Port
Red wine White wine Sparkling wine Rosé wine Port (Fortified wine)
Most wines are essentially named in two ways
- Based on the grapes used to produce them, these are called Varietal wines (for example Shiraz, Pinot noir)
- Based on the region where they are produced (for example Bordeaux, Burgundy)
Wines can be old world wines or new world wines
Old world wines are from countries where winemaking originated like France, Spain, Italy & Portugal.
New world wines are produced in countries where winemaking was imported after the age of exploration. Examples are the United States, Australia, South Africa & Chile.
Red wine is best served at room temperature (15-20°C); White and rosé wines are best served chilled (8-12°C): and Sparkling wine is best-served ice-cold (5-7°C)
73 total views, 3 views today